Login  |  Register  |  Search

History

In the year 1939, the men of what is now known as Grandview decided it was time to start a Water and Sewer project and Mr. Floyd Strode and a Mr. Bodenhamer called a citizens meeting.  At this meeting, Mr. Strode was named Chairman.  The Committee was Mr. Bodenhamer, Mr. Means, Mr. Baldridge, Mr. Sutton, Mr. Copp, Mr. Miller, and Hugh J. Dodds who was the first attorney for the village.

Frank Kramzer had the first grocery store in the old stone building on Cincinnatti and 22nd St.  The Wesley Methodist Church stood in its present location.  The present Wanless School and Wesley Methodist Church ground was given by Fred and Charles Wanless. 

The first board meeting was held on July 31, 1939, with Clarence Wolf, Presdient and Trustees MR. Bodenhamer, Mr. J. Means, Mr. Baldridge, Mr. Sutton, Mr. Copp, and Mr. Miller.

The first 6 months was spent in making ordinances and working on a water system.  On August 4, 1940 an ordinance was passed to provide a $38,000 Bond for said water system, which the Village was named Grandview. 

Bob Collier had the first and only newspaper of the happenings in Grandview.

On September 9, the Village made an ordinance for a contract of water from the City of Springfield.  At last a water system had been started, and by July 14, 1941 it was completed.  At a board meeting on January 23, 1941, the members made certain that conditions be better and voted an additional Bond of $50,000 and also another one for $67,000.

In May of 1941, a contract for oiling the streets was issued.  In June of that same year, a resolution for our Arterial Streets be funded by the Motor Fuel Tax.  In October, the board voted to pay the Water Superintendent $35.00 per month, the meter reader the same salary.

The next years their salaries were raised to $100.00.  

In August of 1944 Starnes asked for water from the Grandview Water Department but was rejected, but in November 1945, the resolution was granted.

The year 1946 was a booming year for the Village as quite a number of new homes were being put up.  1946 was the first year the village held membership in the Illinois Municipal League at $10.00 per year.

September of 1946, Mr. Alkire asked for an addition to the water system at Stanslow Addition, it was granted. This was the year new water meters were installed at a cost of $1,429.00 from the Neptrine Meter Co of Long Island, New York.

May 1947, a new election of officers and Mr. Clarence Wolf, President, Trustees Mr. C. Baxley, Thomas Veneri and Rudy Kink were added.  

The summer of 1947 another building boom when more new homes were added to the village.  J. Means resigned as Trustee and F. Lanham was appointed to fill the vacancy.

In November a new building ordinance was adopted.

December 1947, Mr. C. Wolf resigned as President of the Board and Mr. John G. Holiday was appointed as President.

The first street lights were installed in this year also new play ground equipment was ordered.  It was voted by the Village Board to meet twice a month, Mr. F. Pfieffer was attorney for the Village.

In 1948 Mr. Paul Wanless was appointed attorney for the Village.  Mr. Allesandrini was appointed trustee.  New street signs were installed beginning the new year of 1949, and a lease for a play ground was granted.

The new board elected in May 1949 were John Holiday, President; Trustees Kink, Vespa, Petrilli, Hostick, Ray and Ollech.  

A new building code was passed and 50 new homes to be built by Barker-Goldman and Lubin in the Village an addressograph was bought.

All water bills were paid at Mrs. Parkers then at Rudy Kinks residence and now at the Water Department.

A new police officer, Chas. A. Askbaker was appointed.  The Specification for the Water Department Building was approved and the contract awarded to Wm. H. Wiest.  

The Board adopted a 15 mph speed limit in the Village and on North Grand Ave East 30 mph.

Building permits were issued to Duane Downy for 14 houses on 2200 and 2300 blocks of East Converse and Grandview Ave.

It was at a January 2, 1951 meeting on a motion by R. Gordon, authorizing President R. Hindricks sign a contract for the Water Department Building at Wesley and Reservoir Street.

January 15, it was voted to join the Springfield Credit Bureau.

The first board meeting held in the new building was on June 4, 1951.  At the December 17, 1961 meeting it was voted that the Ordinance to prevent house trailers and basement houses was issued.

In May 1952 it was voted to change 21st Street to Water Street, 22nd Street to Albany Street, and 23rd Street to Wolfe.  The vote carried.

In August 1952, seven men were named by the board as special deputies to abate traffic conditions; Victor Flaminio, Geo. Courtright, Glen Gates, J. R. Holliday, John Dodd, Alanzo Baker, and Bernard Diekson.

It was on September 6, 1955 that John B. Hinricks accepted the job of Police Patrol for the 22nd Street crossing at North Grand.

In 1956 it was voted for the Village to purchase 3 acres of land at the SE corner of Milton and Keys to be known as the Grandview Recreation Area... later called the Grandview Park.

In 1960 Mr. Fred Shraga suggested that the Village make a proposal to the State of Illinois to resurface, widen, curb, gutter and drainage for North Grand Ave.  The motion made and carried.

The plans were presented for a sub-division between Stephens and Milton.  The Platt of Monica Court was accepted and plans for dedication were made.  A census of June 1956 was 1922 population.

The Grandview Dad's Club was organized and in 1958 a new refreshment stand was built at Grandview Park.

In 1959 work was started on the municipal building and it was this year that the State was to spend $11,000.00 on the North Grand Street improvement from Wesley Street to the railroad.  The Village part of the project is $10,290.04.

In 1961 a two car garage was added to the Water Department building.  A new police car with radar and a two-way radio, and new sidewalk on North Grand Ave., a pick-up truck, a larger truck with a spreader and snow shovel has been purchased.

On August 5, 1964 Mayor G. Netnik resigned and at a called meeting Mr. Cronister was appointed to fill the vacancy.

Grandview Village which was incorporated in 1939 to bring water mains into the area, has grown into a great community.  In the years past our highest census was 2,212 back in 1960, which at the time made Grandview one of the largest municipalities in Sangamon County, other than Springfield.